School Health Advisory Committee
A School Health Advisory Committee (SHAC) is a state-mandated advisory council appointed by the school board. Members are approved by the school board for a one-year term. It is made up of parents, community members, students and school staff working together to improve the health of all students and families through coordinated school health programs.
Why do we need a School Health Advisory Council (SHAC)?
- It is Texas law; Sec. 28.004. LOCAL SCHOOL HEALTH ADVISORY COUNCIL AND HEALTH EDUCATION INSTRUCTION. (a) The board of trustees of each school district shall establish a local school health advisory council to assist the district in ensuring that local community values are reflected in the district's health education instruction.
- Healthy children learn better.
- Schools play an important role in teaching healthy habits.
- Healthy homes and healthy schools support healthy children.
What is included in a coordinated school health program (CSHP)? The components of a coordinated school health program include:
- Family and community involvement
- Nutrition services
- Physical education
- Health education
- Counseling, psychological and social services
- Health services
- Healthy school environment
- Health promotion for school staff
SHAC Meeting Agendas
Feb. 17, 2022 | April 21, 2011| TBA| May 26, 2022
Administration Building Conference Room
We envision a school community that encourages and supports the physical, emotional and intellectual well-being of all children.
It is the Mission of Rio Vista I.S.D. School Health Advisory Council to promote and support healthy living of all students through a quality coordinated school health approach.
SHAC Required Notices:
Rio Vista ISD has one full-time RN, two full-time nurse's aides, a full-time trainer, and counselors on each campus.
RVISD District Members:
- Jeanne Cobb, Assistant Superintendent
- Jan Jones, Teacher
- Danielle Toothman, RVISD Paraprofessional & RVISD Parent
- ShyAnne Burton, District Registered Nurse
- Hannah Smith, RVISD Parent
- Lorrin Segars, RVISD Parent & Business Owner
- Brandon Vaughn, RVISD Parent & Clergy
- Susan Moore, RVISD Parent
- Chief Whitlock, RV Police Chief
- Kelly Conner, RVISD Parent
- Teri Gilbert, RVISD Parent & RN
- Heather Ellis, RVISD Parent & Medical Professional
- Kelsey Cobb, RVISD Parent & Business Owner
Interested in participating in The SHAC Committee?
Please contact Jeanne Cobb at email@example.com.